Tuesday, November 22, 2011

last minute thanksgiving crafts for kids {tutorials}

Are you getting ready for Thanksgiving today like I am? My kids are out of school already, so I'll be looking for things to keep them busy while I bust out the best yams ever, a pumpkin pie, and a batch of my famous rolls. Busy day, but it will make Thanksgiving day so much more enjoyable!

My cute friend Kerri is one of those moms who has a true talent for mothering. There are so many good moms out there, but I think most of us have to work at it A LOT. She is one of the few for whom it seems to come totally naturally (at least that's how it seems to me--she might have a different opionion!). But one thing I love that she does is craft with her girls--all 5 of them! She was so generous to share a few fun Thanksgiving crafts so the rest of us don't have to try so hard for once. Thanks, Kerri!

Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids

Nature Hunt Banner
In preparing for Turkey Day the girls and I love to make this banner...we're going on the 4th year in a row. Super fun and a great way to involve your kiddos in Thanksgiving decorating!

 You need:
Twine string or ribbon to hang your banner with
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Construction paper
(or any paper you think would look cute--you could use scrapbook paper in fall colors)

You start by going on a scavenger hunt in your yard or the park or mountains searching for things to create your letters with...once that's done head home and get creative!
 
I had previously drawn the letters on the paper to make it easier for my children to create. Use scissors to cut down your items and the glue gun to stick them on. I have used tacky craft glue and it works fine just takes a bit longer to dry but is more kid friendly. Using the glue gun is usually my job.
 
When you are done hang the letters on your twine or string either with clothes pins or by folding the top of the paper down 1/2" and tapping over the twine. This is my first year using clothes pins and I kind of like it!
 
Here is some of the individual creativity...I love how fun they turn out notice the crab apple on top of the pine cone for the letter I. And the accent on the letter A.

 
Painted Pumpkin Rock Place Cards
 Another fun fast kid craft...painting pumpkin rocks we might just use these for these for thanksgiving "place cards."  
You will need:
 Rocks
Orange paint ( I used tempera washable just because I have young children who tend to get messy!)
 Twigs
 
Paint your rocks orange. Select a twig cut it to size and glue gun it on and voila--Thanksgiving decor! Or write a name on each rock with a marker and use it on your Thanksgiving table!

Tom Turkey Cookies
Last little Tom Turkeys...made with Oreo blonde cookies, snack size Nutter Butters, Reeses Pieces, M&M's, black dot sprinkles, fruit roll-ups and vanilla frosting tinted a light yellow.
 
Seriously my girls had a blast making these guys. I put the frosting in snack size baggies and cut the corner and let them go to town and this is what they made. Super easy, tasty and fun.

Happy Thanksgiving!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
3 Comments

3 Responses to “last minute thanksgiving crafts for kids {tutorials}”

Louley's Belles said...

Great post, gonna have to do these!!!

LessonPlans-CraftGossip said...

Such a great post! I especially love the nature banner...we are doing this tomorrow!

I also posted this on Craft Gossip:)
Happy Thanksgiving!

http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=5095

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Great crafts! And they did a beautiful job!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs